Thursday, January 26, 2006

Microscopy Unbound

Only one guess yesterday, from my wife. Have you all stopped coming? I hope not because tomorrow should be lots of fun as you will see when we get there.

In the mean time, the answer to yesterday's mystery picture is: a piece of a page from a paperback book (minus the printing of course) which will lead into today's theme, the paperback book.

This is an old paperback, Not the Glory by Pierre Boulle published in 1962. My father bought it to read while he was here at a used bookstore for $2 and I have torn it apart in the interests of science.



There is a color illustration on the front cover. At 60x and 200x you can see the dots and color separation printing that make it up.



The inside of the front cover is boring old card stock (200x).



The book is held together by a simple binding using this glue (200x).




Inside the pages we can see that the printing doesn't look so perfect up close (60x, 200x).


What is today's 60x mystery picture?

6 Comments:

Blogger vanessa said...

hmm...I wonder if it is something from the book...by the way...I love this site! I hope this makes you feel loved. I try to come by every day and see if there is anything new and interesting.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Daniel J. Geduld said...

Thanks for the support, Vanessa. I really appreciate it... and no, it's not from the book. Sorry.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Some part of a dollar bill?

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I check in every day. It's a great site, keep up the good work!

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Leigh said...

well, it's an intaglio print of some kind... probably from a book or newspaper, as the paper is too white, and doesn't have the threads of money-paper. maybe from a book of clipart?

5:10 AM  
Blogger FDF said...

Avoid alcohol while taking Carisoprodol. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness caused by Carisoprodol.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home