Sunday, January 29, 2006

Double Double Sawbuck

Sorry about not posting yesterday. I went out for dim sum with friends and never quite ended up making it back home for the day's posting until it was very late. Anyway, today we continue our exploration of the $20 bill, but before we go on with the photos, I'd like to welcome anyone coming from Science Chat Forum who we may be partnering up with here on the mystery picture of the day so it will be featured there as well. I highly recommend their forums for anyone interested in talking and learning about science.

Now, no one got yesterday's mystery picture right, although the suggestion of booger was on the right track. Those of you who have gone to my website and seen my headshot know that I keep my head shaved, so I couldn't provide a human hair (my wife may be willing to donate) to show you yet. However, I do have some dandruff up on the top of my dome. That is a flake of it.

And now, back to the $20 bill. Apparently, a friend with a 2003 bill tells me that they have already changed some features on it so that it does not match what I have put up on the site! The government is actually changing small designs on the bills each year to help stop counterfieting.



The $20 bill has a hologram in the lower right hand corner. The number 20 changes its color depending on the angle at which you hold it. This is what it looks like at 60x.




This is the strip that is inside the bill, another anti-copying device. You also get a very good look at the unique red and blue fibres which are in the paper. This style can only (legally) be found in American paper money.

Today's mystery image is at 200x. Guess away in the comments. Also, please keep suggestions coming!

6 Comments:

Blogger FDF said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:14 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

kind of looks liek a piece of yarn

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great piece of blogging. Glad I accidently found your blog. I would love you to visit this site lucid dreaming and tell me what you think.

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

scab?

5:49 AM  
Blogger R2K said...

These bill images are incredible!

Micro Images

8:11 AM  
Blogger megalonis said...

a straberry

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home