Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Big Lots $10 Challenge Part 2

Here is part 2 where we today unveil the first of the mystery pictures.

Each day I will post a mystery picture at the end and I won't tell you what it is until the next day. Feel free to guess in the comments... or not. Remember, anonymous commenting is allowed on my blog so if you're shy, don't be worried.

Now, on with the show. As you'll remember from yesterday, the challenge was to spend $10 at Big Lots (items I would use only) and see what I could get. I got so much that I'm splitting it over several days.

For $0.99 I got some sugar free Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I'm not diabetic, nor is my wife and Lucy can't eat chocolate, but I figure if we're going to eat candy, we might as well have the kind without sugar. These Reese's are an obscene waste of packaging which means there's ever so much more to photograph. All Reese's images are at 200x.


The bag of candy was made of colored plastic.



Each candy was individually wrapped both in foil



And in a paper wrapper.




You got peanut butter in my chocolate! You got chocolate in my peanut butter! Here they both are, peanut butter on top, chocolate on the bottom. You can see little moisture bubbles on the chocolate which were bursting under the heat of the lamp while I took the picture. It never ceases to amaze me how things which seem so dry are actually so moist.



At $0.48, this emery board proved to have twice the value as it has both a coarse dark side and a fine light side to photograph.

And finally, the mystery object!


It cost me another $0.48 and is probably the most interesting picture from the excursion. What do you think it could be? Let me know in the comments. Answer tomorrow!

Oops! Almost forgot to tally up. Added to yesterday's expenses, we're now up to $6.21

5 Comments:

Blogger vanessa said...

For the mystery picture/object...I think it might be some type of crystal...well thats what it looks like anyway.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Elizabeth said...

I'm going to guess some kind of candy... maybe pop rocks??

7:00 PM  
Blogger Ike said...

Well, definitely not pop rocks. Pop rocks are too colorful and they aren't so elongated... Although it seems doubtful for under 50ยข, perhaps borax? Just a thought...

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May be SALT??????

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

monosodium glutamate ... ;)

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home